I know that October is generally the season of pumpkin everything, and normally I embrace that whole heartedly. For some reason I’m just not feeling it right now. Maybe it’s because there are so many pumpkin recipes already in circulation. Or perhaps it’s because the weather feels much more like September than October here in Ohio. Either way, when I was musing over what I wanted to bake and share this week apples are where I ended up. Specifically Apple Spice Muffins with Pecan Streusel Topping. I’m not sorry! I promise to deliver some delicious pumpkin recipes in time for Thanksgiving feasts, but for now let’s make muffins!
Soft and flavorful inside with a sweet crunchy topping it’s the perfect fall breakfast muffin. I used a cup and a half of chopped apples but you could easily bump it up to two cups. Shredded apples will also work and save you the work of peeling them. If I’m being honest, I’m tired this week and I love having something already done for breakfast. Fry or boil a couple eggs and it’s a healthy and well rounded meal!
Right now all I really want is to curl up in front of a fire in a cozy sweatshirt with a novel, a hot cup of tea and my fuzzy snuggly pup. All day. Maybe all weekend? Duty calls and I will answer, but a part of me will be living that daydream. You’re welcome to join me if you need a mental vacation. Luckily there’s a fall festival this weekend which we are all looking forward to. I’m sure it will be a lot of fun!
I hope you have a lovely weekend and enjoy your Apple Spice Muffins! Thanks for pinning and sharing 🙂 If you haven’t already signed up for cookie week make sure that you do – only 11 more days to go!
Apple Spice Muffins are the perfect fall breakfast! Topped with a cinnamon pecan streusel for just the right amount of crunch they are perfect with a cup of tea.
- 2 cups (270 g) unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup (60 g) wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (55 g) old-fashioned oats
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (175 g) sugar
- 6 Tbsp (85 g) melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup (235 g) buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) plain greek yogurt
- 1–1/2 cups (140 g) chopped apple
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup (110 g) brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1–1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (60 g) chopped pecans
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (175 C) and grease or line muffin pans for 20 muffins.
- Melt the butter in a small pan, add the flour, cinnamon, sugar and nuts. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Stir together the first 9 ingredients (flour through salt). Add the chopped apple pieces and toss.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat together the sugar and melted butter for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix.
- Add 1 cup of the flour mixture and the yogurt and mix on low.
- Stir in the rest of the flour mixture and the buttermilk. The batter will be very thick.
- With a large scoop or a 1/4 cup measure scoop the batter into the prepared pans. Sprinkle a generous amount of the streusel topping on each.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a pick inserted comes out clean.
If you don’t have buttermilk combine 1 cup milk and 1 tsp fresh lemon juice in a small bowl and let it sit for 5-10 minutes until you need it.
Keywords: easy breakfast muffins, apple spice muffin recipe, autumn breakfast recipe, apple muffins