It’s Day 2 of Cookie Week! If you’ve been here before you know that chai has a special place in my heart. When I saw this Frosted Chai Snickerdoodle recipe over on Sally’s Baking Addiction I thought they sounded wonderful. I knew Cookie Week needed chai cookies but I wanted to put my own spin on them. My Chai Spice Cookies are based off the spices I use in my Homemade Spiced Chai recipe. Ginger and cardamom are the main stars but I did use some cinnamon for the cookies as well. I wanted to really pull out the flavors so I rolled them in sugar and the same spices that are in the cookies. This creates a lovely crunch on the outside and a little sparkle as well.
Disclosure: this post includes affiliate links, if you click through one of my links and buy something I make a small commission. Thanks for helping me keep this blog running!
If that sounds like a lot of spices don’t worry, they aren’t overpowering. When you bite into these Chai Spice Cookies you’ll get a soft burst of flavor with a little crunch afterwards. These cookies are absolutely wonderful with a cup of tea and a friend! I wanted to keep them at a smaller “tea” size rather than a larger American size so I used a medium cookie scoop to get the perfect 2 tsp amount of dough. If you’ve never used a cookie scoop before you should try one! I got my first (a medium size) as a wedding present and it really is better than the two spoons method I grew up with.
Now that I have one Chai Spice Cookie recipe that I’m really happy with I’m starting to get some ideas for future variations as well. Who knew developing recipes would be so fun! I hope you are enjoying Cookie Week. Let me know what you think of the recipes so far. I think it’s time for us to invite a friend over for tea and cookies! October is almost over and the holidays are speeding towards us. Make sure you take a little time to stop and savor fall before it leaves us again.
I’ll see you tomorrow for Cinnamon Iced Pumpkin Cookies, a classic favorite. Thanks for pinning and sharing!
True to the name Chai Spice Cookies are a cup of chai in cookie form. Soft, delicately spiced with a sparkle of sugar on top they are a teatime treat!
- 2–3/4 cups (345 g) white flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (115 g) butter melted
- 2/3 cup (135 g) white sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 g) dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- In a medium bowl mix the dry ingredients (flour through salt).
- Put the sugars into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Turn it on low and carefully pour in the butter. Beat for about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix.
- Put one cup of the flour mixture in and mix.
- Stir in the rest of the flour mixture and the buttermilk.
- Chill for 1-24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C) and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl mix the sugar and spices for rolling.
- Scoop out about two teaspoons of cookie dough (I use a small cookie scoop) and roll it into a ball.
- Roll the ball in the spices and sugar until coated and space about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let them cool for 2 minutes on the tray and then move to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
If you don’t have buttermilk combine 1/4 cup milk + 1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
Keywords: Chai spice cookies, chai cookie recipe