It’s Day 3 of Cookie Week! While I was developing recipes for this week I took a poll on Facebook to find the #1 cookie for fall. It was a tough race between Molasses (gingersnap) cookies and pumpkin cookies. Pumpkin cookies with cream cheese icing are a hallowed fall treat in Ohio. Today we are spinning on that classic a little and making Cinnamon Iced Pumpkin Cookies. These soft and buttery morsels taste like pumpkin season distilled into a cookie.
Disclosure: this post includes affiliate links, if you click through one of my links and buy something I make a small commission. Thanks for helping me keep this blog running!
For this recipe I decided that cinnamon icing would perfectly complement the pumpkin cookies so our baking will be veering into Pumpkin Spice Latte territory today! I used the small cookie scoop for this recipe again. The same one we used for yesterday’s Chai Spice Cookies. You can of course use a medium cookie scoop if you prefer larger cookies. Just plan on getting about half the amount of cookies specified in this recipe.
I really wanted to reinvent the wheel with this cookie recipe. I made these five or six times with different variations before I caved and acknowledged that the base of the original recipe would stay. These are adapted from Better Homes and Garden’s Melt in Your Mouth Pumpkin Cookies. I started by halving the recipe because I did not want 60 cookies, but if you are making cookies for a crowd go ahead and double it. Next I cut back on the sugar because I think lot of recipes are much sweeter than is necessary for a good dessert. Rich and flavorful beats plain and sweet any day! To that end I also adjusted the spices, adding ginger and cloves instead of nutmeg and upping the cinnamon. Cinnamon Iced Pumpkin Cookies are the result, a rich and flavorful treat that will put you in a fall mood!
I hope you enjoy baking your pumpkin cookies today! Come back tomorrow for Coconut Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies. Thanks for pinning and sharing!
Cinnamon Iced Pumpkin Cookies
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 2– 1/2 dozen 1x
- Category: Cookies
Soft and buttery pumpkin cookies are topped with cinnamon icing for a burst of fall flavor. This is a cookie you don’t want to miss!
- 1 cup (230 g) butter
- 1/2 cup (115 g) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 can pumpkin – 7.5 oz (215 g)
- 2–1/4 cups (355 g) white flour
- 1/4 cup (60 g) butter well-softened
- 2–1/4 cups (260 g) powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C) and line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment combine the butter, sugars, spices and leavening and beat to combine.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix.
- Pour in the pumpkin and flour and beat until the mixture comes together. The dough should be fairly soft.
- Scoop the dough onto lined cookie sheets about two inches apart using a small cookie scoop.
- Bake for 12 minutes and cool on wire racks.
- Beat all the icing ingredients together until well combined. Swirl a generous dollop of icing on each cookie with a knife and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
Keywords: pumpkin cookie recipe, cinnamon iced pumpkin cookies, cinnamon icing, pumpkin cookies