Savor the season with easy Crock-pot Apple Butter. Packed with fall flavors it’s perfect for breakfast, snack or gifting!
- 3 pounds (1 1/2 kg) of apples (I like a tart variety)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) honey
- 1/3 cup sugar (white or brown)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Peel, core and chop your apples.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the crock-pot, then add the apple chunks and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for about 4 hours, then stir and cook for 1-2 more hours.
- At this point your apple butter should be getting thick and just have small pieces of apple in it.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in a regular blender.
- If you want it thicker you can continue to cook it down for longer.
- Put it in jars and start eating!
- Apple butter can be canned or frozen for up to a year.
Adapted from Dessert for Two.
I like my apple butter well spiced, but you can start with 1 tsp cinnamon and add more later if you’re not sure how much you want.
If you are using a sweet variety of apple you might want to start with less sugar.
Keywords: homemade apple butter, spiced apple butter recipe, autumn recipes, fall apple butter