Enjoy a delicious but still guilt free holiday with Healthy Pumpkin Pie. The smooth creamy filling is just eggs, pumpkin, coconut milk, raw sugar and spices!
- 1/2 cup (115 g) unsalted butter
- 1–1/4 cup (175) unbleached flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3–4 Tbsp ice water
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (145 g) raw sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 2/3 cup (155 ml) canned coconut milk
- 1 (15oz) can (425 g) pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1–1/4 cup (300 ml) heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Cut your butter up into small chunks. I cut my stick in half lengthwise, flip it over and do it again, then slice it into approx. half inch pieces. This way each slice is 4 small squares. Put the butter pieces in a bowl and stick it into the freezer for about 15 minutes. Combine your dry ingredients and pop them into the freezer also.
- Using a food processor or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the dry ingredients and butter together until the butter is about the size of oatmeal or blueberries.
- Add 3 Tablespoons of cold water, one Tablespoon at a time, mixing a little in between each addition.
- Test your dough and see if it holds together by squeezing a handful. The pie dough should mostly stick together when you squeeze it with just a little crumbling. If it doesn’t, add another Tablespoon of cold water and test again.
- Knead it on the counter 3-6 times gently to bring it together. Too much kneading will toughen the dough. If it won’t form a ball put it back in the bowl and add cold water 1 Tablespoon at a time testing after each, until it come together. Be careful not to over moisten!
- Shape the dough into a round flat disk wrap it in plastic and put it into the fridge for 30 minutes or until you’re ready to bake.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C). Roll out the dough, place it in a nine inch pie pan and crimp or decorate your edges. Put it back in the fridge until the filling is ready.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and spices together. Stir in the coconut milk and pumpkin puree.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake on the middle rack until the center is set. Mine took 50-60 minutes and I checked it with a knife in the center.
- Before you whip your cream put your mixer bowl in the freezer for a few minutes to help stabilize the cream while it whips.
- Pour the cream and vanilla into the cold bowl and whip with the whisk attachement (or hand held mixer) until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and cinnamon and beat until stiff peaks form. Serve immediately!
Keywords: pumpkin pie recipe, healthy pumpkin pie, dairy free pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie and whipped cream