Bake your own homemade cinnamon bread with this quick and easy recipe. Soft and tender bread rolled up with a healthy dose of cinnamon and brown sugar, yum!
- 3 1/2 cup (460g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (125g) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (70g) spelt flour
- 1/2 cup (55g) old-fashioned oats
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup (60ml) canola oil
- 2 cups (450ml) cool/lukewarm water
- cinnamon powder
- dark brown sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add the flours and oats. Put the salt on one side of the bowl and the yeast on the opposite side and stir.
- Add in the honey, oil and water and mix until the dough come together.
- Take it out to knead by hand or switch to the dough hook and continue mixing on medium/high for another 6-8 minutes.
- To knead by hand: toss a small handful of flour onto the counter and start kneading. Once the flour is incorporated pour a little puddle of oil on the counter and continue kneading in that. This way you don’t weigh your dough down with too much flour. You can use more oil if you feel you need it, but once the gluten starts developing it should stop sticking to the counter.
- Knead for 5-10 minutes and put it into a lightly oiled bowl covered with a clean towel to rise.
- Let your dough rise at room temp for 1-2 hours. It should double in size.
- After your dough has risen, dump it back onto the counter and cut it into two equal pieces.
- Roll out each half to the width of a standard bread pan (about 8-9 inches) and around 19 inches long.
- Sprinkle a solid coating of cinnamon over the dough and then a layer of sugar – I like to use dark brown sugar and pat it down smooth.
- Roll up tightly. When you get to the end of the dough, pull the last edge up onto the roll and pinch it together.
- Place each roll seam side down into greased bread pans.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C) for 20-30 minutes until the top of the loaves has risen to be about even with the top of the pan.
- Pop your loaves into the oven and bake for 35-40 mins.
- Carefully turn them out onto a wire rack. I lay mine on their sides for the first 5 minutes and then stand them up, that way the steam between the counter and the rack doesn’t make the bottoms damp.
- Your bread should be a medium golden brown and sound hollow when you tap the bottom.
If you don’t have spelt flour you can substitute more whole wheat or white flour.
Keywords: homemade cinnamon bread recipe, cinnamon bread, homemade bread recipe