Breakfast gets an upgrade with this delicious rustic chorizo and cheddar loaf. With swirls of cheese and spicy chorizo throughout it’s sure to be a fast favorite!
- 2 cups (270g) unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup (65g) whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) oat flour
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup (235ml) lukewarm water
- 8–9 oz (225-250g) chorizo
- 1/2 cup (35g) grated cheddar cheese
- Put all the flours into the bowl of a mixer.
- Add the salt on one side of the bowl and the yeast into the other.
- Stir, then add the oil and water.
- Mix until everything comes together then turn out onto a lightly floured counter and knead.
- For best results knead for 5-8 minutes – it builds the gluten and your muscles in one go! Once the flour is incorporated finish your kneading with oil so your bread doesn’t get weighed down with extra flour.
- Put the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap. Let it rise until doubled: 1-2 hours.
- Grate the cheese and set aside. Fry the chorizo, drain the grease and turn it out onto paper towels to soak up any extra grease.
- Turn the dough out onto the counter. Pour the meat and cheese onto it, fold the dough around them into a rough ball and start to knead it through.
- It will start to get messy as it distributes through the dough and it will make some lovely orange grease on the counter. Mine wiped off with no problem but if you’re not sure you can knead on plastic wrap or a tray.
- Shape the dough into an elongated oval on a baking sheet. Dust with flour and slash the top once lengthwise.
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 F (220 C) and let your loaf rise for 20-30 mins.
- Bake for 30 minutes and then test it by tapping the crust – if it sounds hollow it’s done!
- Let it cool and slice.
This is a great bread to make sandwiches on or to toast with your breakfast eggs.
Keywords: rustic bread recipe, chorizo and cheddar bread, homemade cheezy bread recipe