Berries make the perfect spring dessert. Toss them in a little sugar, bake them up in a fresh pie crust and savor the sweet flakiness that is a Simple Strawberry Galette. It’s an amazing and yet easy dessert you can whip up for Easter Sunday or just afternoon tea.
What ingredients do you need for a simple strawberry galette?
You don’t need a lot of fancy ingredients for a galette. This list includes your pie crust which you can make in a food processor if you have one. Here’s your shopping/pantry list:
- berries (fresh or frozen)
- Optional: honey, mint, and egg wash
Can I use frozen berries?
If you don’t have any fresh berries you can definitely use frozen instead. Spread the frozen berries out in a shallow tray and let them slowly thaw for a few hours. I used to thaw my berries in hot water but I feel like too much of the juice/flavor runs out and gets tossed. If you thaw them slowly they release a little liquid but not a huge amount. I have not had good luck with canned fruit yet, but if you do let me know!
What’s a galette?
You may already be well acquainted with this beautiful french dessert but if not here’s the overview. Galette is actually a loose french term to describe a range of foods that are generally flat and round. However the most common meaning is a free form rustic pie much like the Italian Crostata. It can be sweet or savory and fruit or veggies are common fillings. Personally this is my favorite way to eat “pie.” Roll out a flaky pie crust into a rough circle, fill it with fruit, dust it with a little sugar and bake until it’s golden – heaven!
Tips for making your strawberry galette
Don’t stress! This is a great introduction to pie crust and pastry because you can’t really go wrong.
- Roll your pie crust out from the center and turn it as you go around to get the best circle shape.
- To fold in the edges, start at one side and the folds should fall into place pretty naturally.
- Bake your galette for the full amount of time. You want a really good color on the pastry to give it that flaky crunch.
I like to brush my edges with an egg wash and then sprinkle the whole thing with raw sugar, although I sometimes forget and it’s still lovely.
What if I want to make this ahead of time?
No problem! However, don’t bake it ahead and store because it will start to go soggy. You can make your crust ahead, wrap it in seran wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days or the freezer for several months. To thaw from the freezer put it in the fridge the night before or on the day of let it sit on the counter until it warms up to about fridge temperature.
Prep the berries by chopping them up and mixing with the sugar. They can be stored in the fridge for a day or two in a sealed container. When you’re ready to bake add the flour to thicken the juices and you’re done!
Drop any questions or comments below and I’ll get back to you! Don’t forget to pin it for later .
Simple Strawberry Galette
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert/Pie
The best dessert for spring is a simple strawberry galette. Juicy fruit wrapped up in a flaky pastry crust? Where can you go wrong?
- 1–1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 C (115g) unsalted butter (cold)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 C ice water
- 3 C chopped strawberries
- 1/2 C sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- Optional: Chopped fresh mint, honey for drizzling
- Chop the butter into cubes (about 1/2-1 Tbsp pieces)
- Add the flour, butter and salt to the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times until the butter is in small pea size pieces.
- Add the water and pulse until the mixture becomes shaggy clumps.
- Pour it onto the counter and press it together into disk. Wrap it tightly in seran wrap and stick it in the fridge for 1/2 hour to 24 hours.
- Chop the strawberries into pieces and toss them with the sugar and vanilla and flour. Set aside to rest while you roll out the dough.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F (C) while you roll out the crust.
- You can make one large or two smaller galettes with this recipe. Lightly flour the counter and the dough. You can roll your crust out on seran wrap to make it easier to move as you go.
- If you’re making two divide the dough in half and roll out each half into a rough circle about 10″ across. Roll from the middle out to keep the dough even.
- Put a large piece of parchment paper onto a cookie sheet and lay the crusts out on it.
- Divide the filling between the two crusts and spread the fruit out to about 2-3″ from the edge.
- Fold the edges up to cover the fruit, folding it as you go around.
- Optional: Brush with an egg wash (1 egg + 1 Tbsp water beaten together in a bowl) and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 mins or until the crust is nicely golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream if you need to be a little extra today!
Use real butter and a good quality brand because this will make your pie dough amazing.
Find the ripest berries, local is great but that can be hard to come by. If they have a lot of white inside they won’t be as flavorful. I always smell the box before buying it – if it smells strongly like strawberries they will most likely be good!
Keywords: Galette, Pie, Pastry, Berries, Spring Dessert