When I was a kid we used to go berry picking every summer. Blueberries, black raspberries and red raspberries galore! Nothing says summer to me quite like freshly picked berries but unfortunately the shelf life of a berry isn’t that long. Enter freezer jam. My Mom made freezer jam with black and red raspberries every year in the summer and we would eat it all winter. The taste of fresh berries all year round! As an adult I haven’t found a good spot to pick our own berries. Luckily Kroger drops the price of red raspberries in the summer. I buy them up for smoothies, eating by the handful and of course, at least one batch of Red Raspberry Freezer Jam.
I’ve never been a fan of traditional jam plus freezer jam is easier and tastier. Every summer I stock the freezer with 10 or so jars of this Red Raspberry Freezer Jam so my family can enjoy the taste of summer all year long as well! I’ve cut back the sugar a little bit in this recipe because I think it tastes better when the sugar doesn’t overwhelm the fruit. This means it will be a little looser and less of a firm jello consistency. You can bump the sugar up by a cup (200g) if you prefer.
Just look at that beautiful ruby red color. It’s just begging to be spread over a fresh piece of Multi-Grain Bread and devoured for breakfast, right? It only takes 30 minutes to make a batch of Red Raspberry Freezer Jam, and it’s a great project for kids to help with. Connor loved getting to smash the berries. He’s also old enough to not make a huge mess which makes Mom happy too!
Before you start, read over the recipe so you’re familiar with the steps. Also, make sure you have enough clean jars ready to go. I have to give myself a refresher every year. There’s nothing as annoying as getting halfway through and realizing the jars aren’t washed or you have 7 clean but need 10. Speaking from experience here! Finally, enjoy that gorgeous fresh fruit flavor. Eternal summer for all!
Bursting with the color and fresh flavor of summer berries, Red Raspberry Freezer Jam is delicious and easy to make. Have 10 jars done in just 30 minutes!
- 4 cups (950ml) crushed Red Raspberries (about 5 1/2 – 6oz packages)
- 6 cups (1200g) white sugar
- 3/4 cup (200ml) cold water
- 7 Tbsp pectin (approximately 1 package of sure-jell)
- 12 half pint jam jars with rings and lids
- Wash the jars/rings/lids in hot soapy water or put them through the dishwasher to sterilize them.
- In a large glass bowl (at least 2 quarts/litres) crush the raspberries in layers, one package at a time.
- Add the sugar and stir until the colors clear.
- Let the fruit sit for ten minutes. After about 5 minutes I start on the next step so that the pectin is ready after the fruit is done resting.
- Put the water into a small pan over medium heat and whisk in the pectin. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute.
- Pour into the fruit mixture and stir continuously for 3 minutes.
- Ladle into clean jam jars leaving a half inch at the top for the jam to expand as it freezes. Wipe the rims and outsides of your jars with a clean damp cloth before screwing on the lids.
- Label your jars and let them sit for 24 hours before putting them into the freezer.
- Makes 10 half pint jars.
Substitute black raspberries for an equally tasty variation.
I don’t recommend subbing fruit other than raspberries in this specific recipe as each type of fruit needs to have its proportions tailored to fit.
Keywords: red raspberry jam, freezer jam, homemade jam recipe, summer fruit recipe